Saturday, May 11, 2013

DIY Party Part 2: Party straws. ARE THOSE PINWHEELS?

I've had this idea in my head for a while, and it was one of those that became harder to bring to fruition that I had expected.  Pinwheel straws.  All I wanted was to turn
THIS
Into 
THIS



Not too difficult, right?  Pfffffffft.  


Here are my supplies.  Construction paper cut into small squares, silly straws, scissors, brass fasteners and (eventually) tape. 









Here are some of my epic failures.  

"No, I will not be a cool pinwheel on a straw!"












My first issues involved poking giant holes in the construction paper, and basically ruining everything.  Might have well set them on fire.  When I finally got that down, they wouldn't stay put in the straws. 
Then I had my stroke of genius!  Here's what finally worked. 

Step one: 
Cut your cute little square.


Step Two: 
Cut about 2/3 of the way down, starting from each corner.

Step Four: 
You will be folding every other corner down to the center.

Step Five: 


Puncture the paper with a brass fastener.  Make sure you get each individual corner centered and punctured thoroughly, or they will fall apart very easily.  
Another tip, try and put a cork board under your pinwheel and puncture with scissors before pushing your brass fastener through






Step Six: 


Cut a small strip of tape in half, and wrap it around the straw.  This stops it from acting all willy nilly and potentially falling into the beverage.









Step Seven: 

Then, you just wrap the brass fasteners around the straw.  Trial and error taught me that the best way it to wrap it as tightly as possibly around the straw, just above the tape.  Then  you can slide it down over the tape and the tape creates a sort of wedge to better hold it in place.





And one more of the adorable finished product!
Now I just have to make 50 more...






No comments:

Post a Comment